Friday, February 20, 2009

Allow me a few moments....

I just finished watching trailers for the movie "Taking Chance". It took a few minutes for the mist to clear from my eyes. Aw hell, it took a few minutes for more than mist, they were tears. I will admit that these kind of movies get to me. I was never a Marine. For 20 years I told Marine jokes as a rebuttal to their Sailor jokes.

Everyday Sailors, Marines, Soldiers and Airmen step into eternity. Whether it is mother nature making the call or some other means they step into eternity. They all had one thing in common. America. A deeper love for our country and our flag than ANYONE can possibly fathom. I can't speak for them all, but for me...... The flag is more than material. The constitution is more than paper. They are living representations of a time and a sentiment. A time when a group of people had taken as much as they could and decided enough was enough.

I get irate at Congress because I love my country and I see it being destroyed from the inside out. Destroyed by apathy and greed. Destroyed by people of all colors and religions and birth place. The cover of freedom that these men and women in uniform provide is not realized to the degree it should be or needs to be. We have freedoms that we would not have and many other peoples would not have because of men like Chance Phelps and Michael Murphy. Men who wrote a blank check for freedom and knew that at any time it could be cashed the hard way. Men and women who lie in unmarked graves around the world for a mere chance to bring peace and Democracy to someone else.

I would venture to say they would do it again if asked.

So when you see a uniform filled by a person you have one of two choices. Walk on by and be a part of the problem, no citizen involvement, or be a part of the solution. EVERY current and former service member I know doesn't want a free beer or a free meal. What do they want? Walk up to them, shake their hand and say thank you. That is plenty.
And when you get home, whether you are a believer or not, say a prayer that God will allow them to come home vertical and not horizontal.

To all my brothers and sisters around the globe, thank you. Come home safe and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment