Sunday, October 4, 2009

Thoughts for the day

I find myself in a quandary. I spent 20 years in the Navy and every time I re-enlisted I took an oath. I raised my hand in front of witness' who watched me make a promise. One that I was ready to enact at any time it was needed, without hesitation or reservation. I never carried a gun in combat. I never had to hold a position on a hill. I was in the Navy, not the Marines or the Army. Yet my oath was the same.

" I, State Your Name, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God. "

I still choose to live my life by that code. I stand ready to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same. THE CONSTITUTION, not the government. So help me God. I never took the oath lightly then or now.

Now I find myself in a position that I am questioning my oath. If it comes down to defending the Constitution and it's intent as the founding fathers wrote it, I may have to defend my country against domestic enemies. Our own elected officials. Our officials seem intent of destroying / re-writing the Constitution. Now I am saying I am going to march on Washington with a gun. BUT I can let my voice be heard. I can hold my elected officials accountable. As accountable as I can. I am only one man.

But a song often starts with a single voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment